Author Topic: What is the future for the DFT?  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Syn

• Member+
  • Kappa
    • View Profile
What is the future for the DFT?
« on: Feb 06 '14 04:10pm »
Topic related.
  So recently I was thinking, thinking about tron, DF in general and back when the war with Rx vs Rd had something crazy number of spectators, now I know this clearly isn't possible with the current player base present on the grid; but I think Rx should be the ones pushing the DFT forward, into the faces of everybody we can.

Look at how the first DFT went. It was successful as shit, we had many teams that weren't even from DF backgrounds, and just wanted to be apart of it; which is great, and probably the most desired characteristic within the DF community ATM. The strive for fun.

So most of you have reached here and gone; well; yeah, but what's the point of all this?
 Let us take the Ladle as a case study. Why is it so successful? Is it because of the 'Huge' fort community? Or is it because the tournament itself and the way we can rely on it happening every month, and the aspirations for people to succeed drive it forward? That's my thesis I guess.
  So what we have now is an opportunity within a simple monthly, maybe bi-monthly tournament to ressurect this no doubtedly dieing game mode to waht it has been in previous years, whether that be through blind promotion in our servers, or maybe even advertisements outside of the game to attract newcomers, maybe even bringing the next iNoob into the game.

TL;DR We have a HUGE oppurtunity to make the game big again within the DFT, lets not waste it.

Basically a bump to DFT 3.

Offline Rookie

• Are You The Real "Rookie 2.0"?
    • View Profile
Re: What is the future for the DFT?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06 '14 04:34pm »
People gonna scared they are gonna lose so they dont attempt to try, but no doubt I will have a team

Offline Syn

• Member+
  • Kappa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06 '14 04:36pm »
People gonna scared they are gonna lose so they dont attempt to try, but no doubt I will have a team

That only occurs now because the playerbase is so small, outcomes can be predicted with prety high success rates; this thing doesn't happen with ladle.

Offline pdbq

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06 '14 04:41pm »
I totally agree with you, however there are several issues that need to be resolved before DFT can be a regular monthly tournament.

*WARNING BIG ASS WALL OF TEXT*

1. It isn't as if I and others wouldn't like to see a DFT every month, that would be awesome. But it isn't as simple as just wanting it to happen. There is a not insignificant amount of work that needs to be done promoting it, updating the wiki, making brackets, getting servers, finding refs, setting up servers on the day of etc... Someone has to do this work, and honestly I don't feel like I can make a promise to do it reliably. Maybe if we somehow split the work-load so that one person has one job each month (I do brackets, iNoob promotes, Light gets and sets up servers, Syn finds refs) then I would feel comfortable saying I would have time for that specific job. But this has its problems as well, if one person falls through on their part of the tourney, the whole thing gets screwed up. It would involve a lot of communication to make sure someone else can take up your part if you can't do it that month.

2. REFS! This is one reason why ladle and brawl and SBT have been so successful, once the servers are set up that is it. There is never a question about who won, or unfairness, or a bad call. I don't think hard "loose" settings are the answer as it completely changes the game, so it is really important that we have good refs who are fair. The problem here is that all the people who are competent enough to ref usually want to play in the tourney. And it is again difficult to get someone to show up just to watch matches and not play (it gets easier after the first round where people lose). But if we don't have enough referees for the first round, teams are just waiting around in servers and it all gets fucked up. Asking people to self referee is a massive problem waiting to happen. This is a tricky one.

3. The "Rules" of DF. This is related to referees. You can tell people to read the rules, but it's kind of hard to understand if you haven't played a lot of df and a lot of people don't bother to read them anyway. This is why it's difficult to get people from other game modes to play. A fort team may come in and not know what flat is, or what a line trap is, and then get pissed at the ref when they get slapped. It's just more difficult to make a simple tourney where everyone feels like it was "fair" because the rules aren't hard coded into the settings. It's kind of like the difference between a gentleman's duel and fencing. In fencing you know if you scored a point, but in a gentleman's duel, one of the guys could be a dick and be like "NU UH YOU DIDN'T TOUCH ME BRO".

I would definitely like to see this happen, and I do think it's possible. But it requires some work. Just a few things to think about I suppose. I would love more thoughts and ideas on what we should do.
« Last Edit: Feb 06 '14 04:43pm by pdbq »

Offline Syn

• Member+
  • Kappa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06 '14 04:49pm »
All of your points are completely valid and justified, but it seems my post was mis interpreted. I am not saying that this can happen and it will happen right now, GO! Not at all. I understand that something of this nature does require a huge amount of planning from more than 1 body, but with the technological prowess capabailites of this clan from Light and duke, grid activity from the whole clan, and general domination from iNoob and yourself, it's possible.

But make no mistake it requires a huge amount of trust and organization, as well as communication. But we can do it, my hypothesis is if we throw out a random date in the not too distant future, April say, and put everything we have into it, see what sort of response we get.

Offline pdbq

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06 '14 04:56pm »
I like it.

Offline Syn

• Member+
  • Kappa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06 '14 05:18pm »
So I guess next stage of planning is to get everyone elses approval and look at dividing up tasks.

Offline Kira

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lightron
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07 '14 08:48pm »
Well, I CTRL+F'd my name, and yes, I can help out with servers.  Due to my work schedule, you'll need to tell me in advanced what needs to be done, so maybe set everything up close to a week in advanced instead of a day or two like most tournaments?

Also, I can host configs 'n everything as well.

Offline Syn

• Member+
  • Kappa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08 '14 05:02am »
Well, I CTRL+F'd my name, and yes, I can help out with servers.  Due to my work schedule, you'll need to tell me in advanced what needs to be done, so maybe set everything up close to a week in advanced instead of a day or two like most tournaments?

Also, I can host configs 'n everything as well.
Of course, so that's Kira's yes, now I guess we wait on inoobs response.

Offline iNoob

• Administrator
  • I don't have Insomnia. I have Internet connection
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08 '14 10:33am »
Why are you waiting for me? I've been trying to get this going for the longest but I couldn't do it by myself.

Offline Syn

• Member+
  • Kappa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08 '14 01:09pm »
Why are you waiting for me? I've been trying to get this going for the longest but I couldn't do it by myself.
Benji you aren't by yourself now, you got me pd and light tell us where to go and we're all over dat, or i could, whatever you prefer

Offline iNoob

• Administrator
  • I don't have Insomnia. I have Internet connection
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08 '14 06:40pm »
Well let's start getting all the refs together ready for march. I'll begin promoting it.

Offline Syn

• Member+
  • Kappa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08 '14 06:41pm »
Well let's start getting all the refs together ready for march. I'll begin promoting it.
So the checklist of things we need prior the games:

Refs

Servers

Brackets

Teams

A Date
-probably end of March, last saturday of March?
« Last Edit: Feb 08 '14 06:55pm by Syn »

Offline pdbq

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08 '14 06:52pm »
A date.

* Rx Chat